Monday, December 7, 2009

Winter 2009 TV Season in Review

The Winners, The Losers and Who got a Call Back

Here is a rundown of the shows I really enjoyed this season (the winners), the ones I stopped watching for one reason or another (the losers) and the ones I stopped watching and started watching again (the call backs).

These are all good shows. The losers are by no means crappy tv, I was just enthralled by other series and found myself missing episodes (for e.g. The Mentalist). After you miss enough episode of a show you realise that obviously that particular picture does not hold its place in your viewing itinerary like it used to. Once upon a time I could not miss an episode of Monk or Psych. But this season I think sleep won over.

The rundown!!

The Winners

This season there were a few all out, at the head of the pack winners:

  • True Blood – it actually got better this season. The first season was good but the second season was definitely better. Stars of the 2nd season – Alexander Skarsgard who plays Eric, followed (not too closely) by Ryan Kwanten who plays Jason. Both the Eric and Jason characters got some legs this season, but there is something about that Alexander. When he is on screen you just have to watch him and no one else.
Los Angeles Premiere Of HBO's Series "True Blood" - Arrivals
Alexander Skarsgard
  • Flash Forward – my mind is in a twist. Are people causing things to happen in the present because of what they saw in their flash forward of the future? Or is what they are doing now supposed to happen? Who is lying about what they saw in the future and who is telling the truth? Can you change your “destiny”? Can you misread your “future”? Is it bound to happen or can it be changed? So many questions. Will I get answers? Either way, I’m hooked. Breakout star – John Cho. He was always a star in my book and he steals the scene from Joseph Fiennes every time. Sorry Joseph but your FBI agent seems like a wimp with alcohol issues. Not a good combination for an FBI agent.
Paramount Home Entertainment's "Star Trek" DVD Release Party
John Cho
  • Glee – a musical every week? Not usually my cup of tea. I must be the one person on earth who thinks The Sound of Music is more like The Sound of “Get-Me-Outta-Here”. Which all means that Glee must be freaking awesome!!! The glee kinds are great but the “supporting” cast is downright amazing, even the principal rocks. Star of the show – dialogue maven Jane Lynch who plays Sue Sylvester. Is there a role she can’t play? Is it fair that she gets 90% of the best lines? Give this woman props. Gotta love her.
Glee-Full Season Premiere
Jane Lynch
  • Sons of Anarchy – Jax, Gemma, Clay, Half-Sack, Bobby, need I say more? Yeah I do. This season was off the hook. Check my review of the finale HERE. The storyline was tight. Bringing in the Zobelle white supremist and mixing it up with the Irish, Mayans and the FBI was a stoke of genius. For any other show this type of mash-up might have been too much but in the hands of the SOA writers it was just enough to keep the story jumping. Axing a few key players was unexpected. Sending Gemma on the lam was unprecedented. We need her back. The story needs her back. How will she return? I don’t know!!!! Star of the season – Charlie Hunnam who plays Jax. Awww, come on!! You gotta love Jax. Everybody loves Jax, except maybe Clay every other day. More Jax please.
Sons of Anarchy Season Two Premiere Screening
Charlie Hunnam

That’s it for the winners.

The Losers

  • The Mentalist – Ouch!!! This was a big winner last season. I'm sure it is still good (well I can’t be certain) but people are still watching it, just not me. Simon Baker is fun to watch and fun to watch and fun to watch (repeat). But how many of these shows can a body sustain without getting bored out of his/her mind. It was a bad season for procedural dramas, too many of them to chose from and non of them won. I was looking for something new to watch and tvland was full of somethings new. (Vampire Diaries anyone?).
61st Annual Primetime Emmy Awards - Arrivals
Simon Baker
  • NCIS – Yes, I lived without NCIS. How was it possible? Did I miss Gibbs, DiNozzo, Ducky, Abby, McGee and Ziva. Hells yeah, and in that order. Truthfully I think I grew weary of Ziva. i really preferred the female agent they had before. Sorry guys, maybe next season.

2009 Park City - The Hollywood Life House Portraits - Day 2Mark Harmon

  • Burn Notice – last season I would have traded in my eye teeth not to miss Jeffrey Donovan as Michael Weston and Sharon Gless as his mom. The cast gets an A+, but Thursday nights belonged to Flash Forward. Catch you guys on internet reruns.

2009 Outfest Opening 'Hannah Free' Screening and Q&ASharon Gless

  • Psych, Bones, Medium, Castle, Monk and In Plain Sight – What can I say? These are almost the same picture (except for Medium) in different packages. Who needs more of the same? Catch you guys on internet reruns also.
2006 Summer Television Critics Association Press Tour
Cast of Psych

The Come Back Kids

These are the shows I stopped watching and was drawn back into for one reason or the other. Sometimes one good episode is all it took.

  • Desperate Housewives – Terri Hatcher picking up garbage at the side of the road in an orange jumpsuit; classic.
The Desperate Housewives Continue to Look Desperate in Orange!

Terri Hatcher on the set of Desperate Housewives

  • Supernatural – Okay that episode, “The Curious Case of Dean Winchester”, where the demon turned Jensen Ackles’ character Dean into an old man was a work of art. The actor who played older Dean (Chad Everett) was spot on. Kudos!! “Changing Channels”, the following episode was also a class act. If you miss every other episode in season 5, don't miss these two.
2007 Winter TCA Tour - Day 11

Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles

  • New Adventures of Old Christine – On most days this show is funny. There is more to laugh at here than in most other comedies.

2006 TCA Tour - Day 9Julia Louis-Dreyfus

  • How I Met Your Mother – Barney. Too much awesome. Who can resist that?
An Evening With 'How I Met Your Mother'
Cast of How I Met Your Mother
That is my take on the tv winter season 2009. What is yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment