Watching Twilight: New Moon made me realise that I really, really miss True Blood; and Laurel Hamilton “Anita Baker” books when they were good.
If you have not guessed by now, Sunflower is not a teenage girl. Female, yes. Teenager, no. And New Moon is for the teenage crowd. Does that mean I did not like the film? Yes, and no. (Some of my fellow adult friends sure seemed to like it.)
First off, I have not read the books, and don’t intend to; although New Moon made me feel like running out and buying book no.3 in the series. See the conflict, I do feel torn in 2 directions like a teenage girl. And much like the teenage heroine in the movie.
New Moon was not all bad, but clearly not all good. There was a scene where the heroine (Bella) screamed and screamed because she missed Edward, her vampire on-again off-again beau. It was a bit much!!!! Screaming, almost every night for months? If I was Bella’s dad I would have hastened her off to therapy.
Then there was some really bad acting but almost everyone in the film (except Taylor Lautner). And of course there was the bare chestedness of the male werewolves in Sam’s pack. Yes, nuff young men with no shirts on. Was it teen night at Chippendales?
Was I impressed? NO. Was I repulsed. Heck YEAH!! The Sunflower is not a prude but there were about five (5) too many scenes with young men with no shirts on. Why was there a need for so much of this in the film? Was it in the book? I have to ask ‘cause I did not read it (as mentioned earlier).
My basic problem with the Twilight series is the author’s take on vampires. Their shining skin, their walking in the day; all sorts of things that I am not in favour of. But this is fantasy, right? So she can create what ever fantasy world she wants her vampires to live in. I don’t have to like it.
Back to the movie.
My favourite scenes are the ones with the adult vampires in them. “Adult” being the vamps who turned vampire past the age of 18. The story line could also have been a lot better. There were some massive holes in the plot which could have been filled by acts of common sense. But then teenagers are not known to be blessed with a whole lot of that. Still, the ending of New Moon falls under “dumb”. Not because I am over 25yrs of age but because if you looked in the dictionary for “dumb” there would be a big ‘ole poster of New Moon.
Sunflower gives New Moon a C+. The plus is because I still want to know what happens next. And that must count for something.
No comments:
Post a Comment